The Martin House Farm is a rare example of
an 18th and early 19th century farm which still retains the character of its
original setting. It consists of the house, two barns and cultivated
fields surrounded by dry stone walls and woodlands.
The home was lived in continuously by
members of the Martin family for over 200 years. In 1930 it was given
to The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The Commonwealth
of Massachusetts by Susan Taber Martin Allien, an eighth-generation Martin and
a member of the New York Society of The Colonial Dames. In 1979 the Martin
House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, an official
list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.
John Martin (b.1674)
purchased 63 acres of undeveloped land in 1715. Sometime between this
date and 1734, when his son Benjamin was born, the house was built. The
original house consisted of a one-room dwelling with a loft above and an
outside chimney. A lean-to, added in the rear, was the first expansion.