Public Genealogical Resources
In Grateful Remembrance
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America
in The State of Vermont
Short Biographies of Our Colonial Ancestors
Updated by B.B. 20 October 2006
| EDWARD ADAMS
Edward Adams was born in England. He was baptized at Kingweston, 19 April 1629. He immigrated to New England with his parents, Henry and Edith Adams in 1638. He went with them to Braintree, Massachsetts and there is first mention of him in the will of his father in 1646. On 3 May 1654, Edward Adams and his step father, John Fussell were admitted freemen of the Massachusetts Colony, their names being next to each other on the roll of that date, (Mass. Col. Records, vol. 4, part 1, page 460).
About 1654 Edward Adams settled in Medfield, Massachusetts, where his brothers Henry and Peter had already located. In 1689 he was appointed Ensign of the Medfield Company. He served as representative to the Massachusetts General Court in the years 1689, 1692 and 1702.
Edward Adams' first marriage was to Lydia Penniman (baptized in Boston, 22 February 1634/5), daughter of James and Lydia (Eliot) Penniman. Lydia had fourteen children and died in Medfield, 3 March 1675/6. His second marriage was to Mrs. Abigail (Craft) Ruggles-Day (born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, 28 March 1634) on 7 December 1678 in Dedham, Massachusetts. There were no children by this marriage.
The New England Historical Genealogical Society in Boston has established that Edward Adams was the Great, Great Uncle of President John Adams.
Return to top
| JOHN ALDEN
John Alden, 1599-1687, apparently came from an
Alden Family who lived in Harwick, Essex, England and were related
by marriage to the master of the "Mayflower", Christopher Jones.
Alden was hired at age 21 to be the cooper or barrel-maker for the
"Mayflower's" voyage to America. Given the option to stay or
return, he decided to stay in America.
At Plymouth, he quickly rose from common sense status to a prominent
member of the Colony. About 1622 he married Priscilla, orphaned
daughter of William & Alice Mullins. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
celebrated their story, (partially imaginary), in his poem "The
Courtship of Myles Standish". Newly widowed Captain Myles Standish
asked his friend John Alden to propose to Priscilla on his behalf,
as was custom, only to have Priscilla ask, "Why don't you speak for
John and Priscilla had 10 children over 20 years. John was one of
the earliest freemen in the Colony and was elected an assistant to
the Governor and the Plymouth Court as early as 1631 and was
regularly re-elected. He was involved in administering the trading
activity of the Colony on the Kennebec River.
John Alden and several other families, including the Standish
family, founded the town of Duxbury in 1630 and they took up
residence there. Alden served as Duxbury's deputy to the Plymouth
Court throughout the 1640s. He served on several committees,
including the Committee on Kennebec Trade, and sat on several
Councils of War. He also served as Colony Treasurer. In 1650 he
built a house in Duxbury, which still stands. By the 1660s his
frequent public service, combined with the needs of a large family
caused his estate to languish, so the Plymouth Court provided him
with a number of both land and cash grants to ease his burdens.
Throughout the 1670s, Alden began distributing his land holdings to
his surviving sons. He died at age 87, one of the last surviving
Return to top
| THOMAS BENEDICT
Thomas Benedict of England and Connecticut is identified with
the founding of one of the first Presbyterian Churches in America,
at Jamaica, in 1662. Then at Norwalk, he was chosen Deacon, an
office he held for the remainder of his life. His sons, John and
Samuel also held that office. Later, along the way, some of the
Benedict descendants became Quakers.
Return to top
| SAMUEL BREWSTER
Samuel Brewster was born on July 18, 1718 in
Brookhaven, New York and died in New Windsor, Orange County, new
York. He was the son of Nathaniel Brewster and Sarah Ludlow. He
had two brothers, Timothy and David. Nathaniel graduated first in
his class at Harvard College in 1642, after which he studied
theology in Norfolk, England, receiving later a Batchelor of
Divinity Degree from Dublin University, Ireland. Returning to
America he became, in 1663, minister of First Church at Boston, then
in 1665 minister at Brookhaven, Long island, for 35 years.
Samuel Brewster was among the original patentees of the town of New
Windsor in 1751 and he was a member of the Committee of Safety
during the American Revolution. He built a saw-mill, forge and
anchor shop and assisted in forging the chain which was stretched
across the Hudson River in the hope of checking the movement of
British vessels up that stream!
In 1775 Samuel built a residence which tradition says sheltered
Lafayette as a headquarters during the American Revolution. His
first wife bore the name of Mary. His second wife was Mary (also)
Wood, who survived him and who died at New Windsor, Feb. 3, 1807.
Their children were Samuel, Timothy, Hannah (married Joseph Dubois),
Abigail (married Jonas Williams), Susannah (married (?) Moores).
Return to top
| WILLIAM BREWSTER
William Brewster was born in
1567 in Scrooby, Yorkshire, England and was a member of the local
gentry. He studied Latin and Greek at Porterhouse College,
University of Cambridge for three years and left to enter the
service of an English ambassador Sir William Davison (1583-1599.)
He served Davison faithfully even after Davison’s disgrace when he
was made a scapegoat for Queen Elizabeth concerning the execution of
Mary Queen of Scots. After William Brewster’s father died in l590,
Brewster replaced him in the positions of bailiff and postmaster of
Scrooby. He married Mary Wentworth, a descendant of King Edward I.
Mary and William had eleven children.
William Brewster was
becoming aware of the persecution in London of religious dissenters,
“the English Puritans,” and also became absorbed in profound
spiritual convictions at the same time. He organized a group of
dissenters, “the Pilgrims,” who separated from the Church of England
in 1606. Two years later, together with other Pilgrims, Brewster
moved to Leiden in the Netherlands to avoid harassment and religious
persecution. Brewster was the ruling elder of the sect and
supported himself by teaching and publishing religious books that
had been banned by the English Government. The Pilgrims enjoyed
religious freedom for twelve years in Leiden, but became discouraged
due to economic difficulties and Dutch influence on their children.
The congregation voted to emigrate to America. In 1619,
Brewster returned to England with William Bradford, another Pilgrim
leader (his junior by 23 years,) to secure a patent for a tract of
land in America from the Virginia Company.
Brewster stayed in
England until September 16, 1620, at which time, along with 102
others, he boarded the “Mayflower” at Plymouth, England for the trip
to America. After a voyage of 65 days the Pilgrims sighted Cape Cod
but were unable to land, as they had no legal rights to settle until
they reached the land they had contracted for. At this time they
drew up the “Mayflower Compact,” thus creating their own
government. They soon discovered Plymouth harbor and made landing
December 21, 1620. Brewster was a signer of the Mayflower Compact
and of the constitution of Plymouth Colony. He continued as leader
of the colony until 1629 when an ordained minister was appointed.
He was the only church officer at the Plymouth Colony. He died at
age 77 on April 10, 1644 at Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Return to top
| THOMAS CLAGETT
Thomas Clagett, born in
London, April 3, 1645, the youngest son of Edward Clagett and
Margaret Adams, daughter of the Lord-Mayor of London, was the
first of the Clagetts to immigrate to America. In England, as a
young man, Thomas was an officer in his Majesty's Navy and is
identified as Captain Thomas Clagett in Maryland genealogical
records. He arrived in the Province of Maryland in 1670. He
was a landowner of a number of large tracts of land in the
Province-Goodlington Manor on the Eastern Shore, Weston with 800
acres near Upper Marlborough, Greenland and Croome in Prince
George's County, and an estate near St. Leonard's Town where he
lived. He inherited land in England at his father's death,
which he later willed to his eldest son Edward, who returned to
England to claim them. His second son, Thomas, stayed in
America and claimed the estate of Weston which remains today in
the Clagett family.
Captain Thomas Clagett was a vast landowner from the start,
which identifies him as a man of credit and worthy of land
grants. He was a Captain in the Calvert County militia. He
held the office of Commissioner of Calvert County, Coroner
(1687) and Vestryman of Christ Church Parish in Calvert County
(1692). Until his death in 1703, he remained a respected
gentleman, a man of substance and importance in his chosen
Return to top
| JOSEPH CLARKE
Joseph Clarke was born on December 9, 1618 in
Westhorpe, Suffolk, England. He died on June1 1694 in Newport, Rhode
Island (another source lists Westerly). The Clarke family was very
prominent in the early history of Rhode Island. Joseph Clarke
immigrated with his three brothers and two sisters to New England, first
to Boston, then to Rhode Island as early as 1636, living at Newport and
was a large landholder, active in local government and a charter member
of the First Baptist Church on the Island of Aquidneck (now called Rhode
Island). He was the only member of the family to leave issue in
America. During the years 1651-1663, Joseph Clarke's brother John, a
physician and Baptist minister, negotiated the Colonial charter for
Rhode Island with the government of Charles II of England.
Joseph Clarke was married to Margaret Turner before 1642. Their
children were: John Clarke, William Clarke, Joshua Clarke, Thomas
Clarke, Susannah Clarke, Mary Clarke, Joseph Clarke, Sarah Clarke, Crew
Return to top
| OLIVER COLBURN
Oliver Colburn was the brother of the patriot and shipbuilder Major
Reuben Colburn. In 1761, during the formative years of the United
States, the Colburn family, parents and seven children, moved to
Pittston, Maine on the Kennebec River, which was the remote
community of Gardinerston in the northern territory of the
Massachusetts Bay Colony.
Reuben became a prominent
businessman and one of the first shipbuilders on the Kennebec
River. In 1765 he acquired a square mile of land and in 1765 built
a colonial home that still stands today.
In 1775 Reuben led Abenaki Indians in their canoes to Cambridge for an audience with a
surprised George Washington who immediately welcomed and enlisted
the aid of the chiefs. Colburn offered his services to the
Continental Army, complete with scouts, maps and boats for 1,100 men
for a river journey of 300 miles through Maine wilderness to capture
Quebec City. Colonel Benedict Arnold was the commander of the
mission. He and a 19 year old volunteer, Aaron Burr, were
entertained in the Colburn home by Reuben and Elizabeth for three
days before moving the army upriver to Fort Western, a time that
cemented the Colburns in history forever.
Oliver Colburn, his
brother Benjamin and partner Thomas Agry supervised crews who
labored to fill the contract of building 200 light batoos suitable
for 6 or 7 men with oars and paddles within in a period of fifteen
days. As no dried pine was available at the time of year, fresh
green pine had to be cut to attach to the oak ribs. Low water and
cold weather hampered the expedition and rocks damaged the boat
bottoms. The Colburn brothers followed with a company of carpenters
fixing the bottoms as needed.
Somewhere near the
headwaters of the Dead River, the army, after living on boiled shoe
leather, mutinied. The army barely made it to Canada and Arnold’s
attack on Quebec with 600 remnants failed. The Colburn brothers
returned to Pittston where they continued to build ships and support
American causes for the remainder of the war. The family was never
paid the money owed them by Washington because the receipts had been
lost. Subsequently, Reuben was financially ruined by the embargo
and the War of 1812. In addition, his effort, in being the first to
vote for Maine statehood, as delegate from the Massachusetts General
Court to the Falmouth Convention also failed.
The writer Kenneth
Roberts writes about the Colburn family in his book “Arundel.”
The Colburn family home
was added to the National Register of Historic Places in August
Return to top
Roger Conant was born on April 15, 1591 in East Budleigh,
Devonshire, England, the eighth child of Richard and Agnes (Clarke)
Conant. The Conants were a well-respected family, which was
descended from John Conant who lived in Devonshire during the
In 1609 at age 18 Roger
went to London to find work with his brother Christopher. Roger
became a salter and Christopher was a grocer. Roger's first wife
died. He then married Sarah Horton in 1618. They had two children,
but one died at age two months in 1619.
In 1623, both for religious disagreements with the church and a
spirit of adventure the two brothers paid for a voyage to America.
Christopher arrived at Plymouth Colony in July 1623 on the ship
"Anne." There is no record, but it's assumed that Roger, Sarah, and
one year old son Caleb came also. Upon arrival, being a Separatist
Roger was at odds with the Puritan settlers. Some new settlers were
expelled to Nantasket. Roger followed them but Christopher stayed
in Plymouth. Roger resided at "Conant's Island," later called
"Governor's Island" in Boston Harbor.
In 1625, due to his good character and ability, Rev. John White of
the Dorchester Company invited Roger to take charge of a fishing
settlement at Cape Ann. After some failures it was not profitable
and a new location at Naumkeag (later called Salem) was chosen.
In the fall of 1626 the Conants and 40 other settlers moved to Salem.
Many of their group in Cape Ann went to Virginia, but Roger was
determined to remain in what was to become Massachusetts Colony. In
1626-28 a patent of land in Massachusetts Colony was granted and the
news reached Salem in June 1628. Roger expected to be appointed
Governor or agent since he had already been the agent in charge for
three years. However, one of the patentees, John Endicott, was sent
from England with about 50 new settlers and was designated the
Governor. Despite the disappointment Roger Conant must have felt,
he continued in his effort for a successful venture there, putting
the good of the public above his own. Roger became a freeman May
18, 1631. He was listed with the church members of Salem in 1636.
He was representative to the First General Court of Massachusetts
Colony in 1636. He was appointed Essex Magistrate and served
regularly on the juries of Essex County. He held many town offices
and was a Salem Selectman for many years. He and Sarah had eight
more children. He died November 19, 1679 in Beverly following the
death of his wife.
A statue of Roger Conant stands in Historic Salem today, in tribute
of his contribution and early settlement in Salem and the
Return to top
| JOHN COOKE
John Cooke traveled on the Mayflower with his
father Francis Cooke. Francis was one of the 41 signatories of the
Mayflower Compact. Francis Cooke was a wool comber from England who
had arrived in Leiden around 1603, earlier than the Separatist
migration to the area. He was born probably in England after August
1583 and died at Plymouth Colony on 7 April 1663. Although not
being part of the Separatist group from England, Francis and his
wife Hester Mahieu (daughter of Jennie Mahieu from Canterbury,
England) had an affinity to the Separatist movement along with other
members of their Leiden Walloon Church. Hester’s family was part of
the French Walloon refuges that had fled to Canterbury, England,
where she was born in 1584. She and Francis were married in 1603.
The Huegenots and Walloons were Protestant exiles from Europe.
Those from France were known as the Huguenots, and those from
present-day Belgium were known as Walloons. Both were persecuted
for their religion and left in large numbers, with a large influx
coming to England.
John Cooke's mother Hester arrived at Plymouth aboard the "Anne" in
1623 with her other children Jane and Jacob. Two more children,
Hester and Mary were born in Plymouth. The "division of cattle"
made at Plymouth on May 22, 1627, lists Francis Cooke, wife Hester,
sons John and Jacob and daughters Jane, Hester, and Mary. This is
the earliest record giving names of his wife and children. Francis
Cooke was one of the "Purchasers" who bought in 1627 all the rights
of the "Adventurers," in effect saving the Colony from bankruptcy.
Return to top
| THOMAS DUDLEY
Thomas Dudley, the only son of Capt. Roger
Dudley and Susanna Thorne was born in 1576 at Northampton, England.
He was fourteen when he and his sisters became orphans. His mother
had died and his father was killed at the Battle of Ivery. Thomas
was raised as a page in the family of Lord Compton, Earl of
Northampton. He became well educated, learning both Latin and the
Law. At the age of twenty he became a Captain in the army and
fought as a volunteer with Henry IV, King of France at the siege of
Amiens in 1597. On returning to England he became a Puritan. In
1603 he married Dorothy Yorke. He became acquainted with Cotton
Mather. In 1629, he was a signed of the Massachusetts Bay Trading
Company and was chosen with five others to take the Royal Charter to
America. John Winthrop was elected governor and Thomas was made
depute-governor. Leaving friends and prosperity, he sailed on the
“Arbella” with his wife and children in 1630. He disagreed with
Winthrop on the choice of Salem for a capital. Winthrop settled in
Newtown and Dudley went to Ipswich but later moved to Roxbury.
At age 54 Thomas Dudley had a long life in public office ahead of
him. He was elected governor four times and deputy-governor
thirteen times. He participated in every event in the life of the
colony throughout the rest of his life. In 1650 he signed the
original charter for Harvard College. He was a strict Puritan and
frequently clashed with other leaders. He was a principal founder
of the Church of Boston. He had a strong body, unyielding temper
and unbreakable will. In 1643 he married Catherine Dighton after
his wife Dorothy died. He had three more children, most notably
Joseph, (future royal governor or Massachusetts), when he was
Thomas Dudley was an able executive with unimpeachable integrity.
He was something of a scholar and wrote poetry. He strongly
believed in autocracy not a popular government. He believed that
the state should control even the church. He was positive,
dogmatic, austere, and thrifty. He became one of the largest
landowners in Roxbury. He died aged 77 at Roxbury on July 31,
1653. The famous poet Ann Bradstreet was his daughter.
Return to top
| EZRA CULLICK ELY
Ezra Cullick Ely was the great grandson of Richard Ely ("The
Emigrant") of Plymouth, England who came to America between 1660 and
1663. On the voyage, his son Richard accompanied him. They resided
in Boston before settling in Lyme, Connecticut, where they were the
original settlers and had about 4,000 acres under their management.
He too had a son "Deacon" Richard, who with his first wife Elizabeth
(Phoebe) Peck, became parents of Ezra Cullick Ely, who was born on
January 22, 1728.
Ezra was married twice. In 1751 he married
Sarah Sterling. They had three children. Sarah died in 1759 and in
1760 Ezra married Sarah's sister Anna Sterling.
Ezra was appointed to be Ensign of the
Third Military Company of Lyme by the Connecticut General Assembly
in October 1759. In October 1762 he was commissioned Captain of the
Appleton's New American Biography for an account of Captain
Ezra C. Ely.)
Return to top
| EDWARD FULLER
Edward Fuller was born in 1575 in Redenhall, County Norfolk,
England. His father was a butcher by trade and his brother Samuel
was a doctor and a deacon. Edward's occupation remains unknown. He
married Anne Hopkins about 1605. They lived in Leyden, Holland, for
a while, but Fuller was not a member of the Leyden Colony. However,
he joined the Pilgrims at Southampton, embarking first in the
"Speedwell". When that ship proved un-seaworthy, he transferred to
the Mayflower with his wife and young son, Samuel, and continued the
voyage to the New World.
Edward was the
twenty-first signer of the "Compact" which was drawn up in the cabin
of the Mayflower just previous to the landing at Cape Cod in
November, 1620. Though he and his wife both died soon after their
arrival (1620-21), and are buried in unmarked graves on Coles Hill
at Plymouth, their memorial has remained in a “numerous, widespread
and worthy posterity, transmitted through their son, Samuel.”
Return to top
| WILLIAM GERRISH
The ship “Jonathan” brought William Gerrish
and the Percival Lowle family from England to Massachusetts in
1639. William, who was born on August 20, 1617, in Bristol,
Somersetshire, was instructed in the mercantile business by Mr.
Lowle while both still lived in England. Not long after the group
arrived in the colony, William married widow Joanna Lowle Oliver.
Together they had ten children, at least eight of whom survived to
Residing with his family in Newbury,
William became a freeholder in 1649. As he grew in the esteem of
his townsmen he was appointed to such positions as Commissioner of
Common Causes, Lieutenant and then Captain of their local militia
(known as band), and ultimately deputy to the General Court (the
lower house of representatives in Massachusetts). He was the
equivalent of a road and public works commissioner seeing to road
and bridge repair and the town's water mill construction.
As he became more involved in his community
the townspeople asked that he not be in charge of both the Horse and
the Foote troops at the same time, possibly implying he was gaining
too much power. As a deputy to the General Court (ultimately
the lower house of representatives in Massachusetts) he and six
others listed a number of actions which had displeased the king.
They in turn were asked to defend their statement. Apparently
this was done to the satisfaction of his peers, for in 1686, after
he had moved to Boston and remarried, he was asked to give the
opening and closing prayers at the semi-centennial celebration of
the city of Boston.
In his final years William Gerrish was the
owner of Number Three Long Wharf. He died on August 9, 1687 at the
house of his son Benjamin in Salem, where he wrote and signed a
detailed will, regrettably more generous to his sons than to his
Return to top
| JOHN GREENE
Major John Greene was one of the most powerful and important figures
in the early history of Rhode Island.
Major Greene was the son
of surgeon John Greene and Joanne Tatersall. His wife was Ann Almy.
Oliver Payson Fuller, in his 1875 “History of Warwick”, notes that
Major John Greene held at different times the offices of General
Recorder, General Attorney, General Solicitor but was best known for
his service as Deputy Governor. He was elected annually to that
office from 1690-1700. He finally retired at the age of eighty. He
received no salary for his services but was exempted from payment of
taxes. He wielded more power than the Governors he served with and
left a greater impact on the state’s history than almost any early
During his tenure the
town of Warwick was nearly destroyed by a smallpox epidemic in
1690. The town also witnessed the introduction of paper money as
bills of credit. In 1692, Greene journeyed to Boston to inquire
about establishing a post office and he helped to bring about the
development of the Boston Post Road, which ran from Boston through
Apponaug and eventually to Virginia.
Major Greene was one of
the 24 named in the permanent charter obtained from King Charles II
in 1663, and one of the 10 assistants provided for in the Charter
for Rhode Island. He was one of those commissioned to
determine the boundary lines of the colony with the colonies of
Connecticut, and Massachusetts. He is also regarded as a
champion for Rhode Island rights and is noted significantly as the
man who introduced Rhode Island to the controversial practice of privateering. It paved the
way for a dramatic increase in Rhode Island’s commerce.
Major John Greene and Ann
Almy Greene had eleven children. Their youngest, Samuel, married
Mary Gorton, whose grandfather founded Warwick. Samuel was very
important in Apponaug history and his descendants continued to be
important in the history of Warwick and Rhode Island.
Return to top
| EDWARD GRISWOLD
Edward and Mathew Griswold were born at Kenilworth, in Warwickshire,
England. According to a deposition in the state records of
Hartford, Connecticut, Edward was born in 1607. The two brothers
immigrated to America about 1640. Edward brought his wife and four
children with him. He settled at Windsor, Connecticut. He was a
representative in Windsor, from 1658 to 1661. In 1664 he moved to
Killingsworth, Connecticut, as one of the leaders in the settlement
of that area and he became its first representative. He, most
likely, is the one who gave Killingsworth its name, answering to the
popular pronunciation of his native place, Kenilworth, England.
In 1678, when the County Court took the conditions of the schools
into consideration, he represented Killingsworth in a committee of
six, "to see what could be done towards establishing a Latin School
at New Haven."
Records show that Edward, his brother Mathew, and his son Francis
were all Representatives in one Court at the same time. Edward died
in 1691. Nothing is known about his wife except that her name was
Return to top
| WILLIAM HART
William Hart was born June 24, 1746 in
Saybrook, Connecticut. He was the eldest son of the Reverend
William Hart of Saybrook. He became a Major General while serving
in the American Revolution. An accomplished equestrian during the
Revolution, he led the First Regiment of Connecticut Light Horse
Militia to Danbury to take part in resisting Tryon’s Raid.
In 1767, when he was 21
years old, he built a home for his bride, Esther Buckingham. This
beautiful Georgian house, now known as the Hart House, is the home
of the Old Saybrook Historical Society.
By 1785, he and his
brother, Joseph, were in the mercantile business and involved in the
West Indies trade. Old Saybrook served as their fleet’s port of
origin. Ships were docked by the entrance of North Cove.
The Hart House stayed in
William Hart’s family until approximately 1827, when his second
wife, Lucy Buckingham, sold it to a local ship captain.
Major General William
Hart was married twice, first to Esther Buckingham (1745-1811). They
had one child Major Richard William Hart (1768-1837). He
subsequently married Lucy Buckingham (1775-1851): no issue.
Return to top
| JOHN HAYWOOD
John Haywood, jurist, was
born in Halifax county, North Carolina, in 1753. He was the son of
Egbert Haywood, a Revolutionary officer. He entered the profession
of law at an early age. He served in the militia during the War for
Independence. Later he clerked for several North Carolina sessions
of congress and in 1787 he was appointed State Treasurer, a position
he held for 40 years. He was elected the first Mayor of Raleigh,
North Carolina. He helped found the University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill, the Raleigh Academy and Raleigh’s Christ Church. He
was active in the operations of all three institutions.
In 1792, when Raleigh
was created as the seat of state government, the legislature passed
a law requiring state officials to reside in the city during their
term of office. John Haywood purchased land two blocks east of the
State House and built a two-story frame residence with a central
portico and extensive interior woodwork, also Federal style trim on
the roof cornice and chimneys of Flemish bond brick. In 1977 the
family donated the house to the National Society of The Colonial
Dames of America in the State of North Carolina. The house,
“Haywood Hall,” a Raleigh Historic Landmark, is now operated as a
museum with many of its original furnishings.
John Haywood settled in
Nashville Tennessee in 1810. He took high rank as an advocate and
was judge of the Supreme Court from 1812 until his death in December
1826. He was the author of; “A Manual of the Laws of North
Carolina” (Raleigh, 1801), “Haywood’s Justice and North Carolina
Law Reports” (1789-1806), “Tennessee Reports” (Nashville and
Knoxville, 1816-18), “Statute Laws of Tennessee” in conjunction with
R.L.Cobbs (Knoxville 1831), “Natural and Aboriginal History of
Tennessee” (1832), and “The Civil and Political History of Tennessee
from its Earliest Settlement to 1796” (1832).
Return to top
| EDWARD JAQUELINE
Edward Jaquelin (Jacquelin) was the son of
Elizabeth (Craddock) Jaquelin of County Kent, England and a
descendant of a Protestant refugee from La Vendee, France during the
reign of Charles IX. He was of the same lineage as the noble
family of La Roche Jaqueline.
Edward Jaquelin went to
Virginia, as a Huguenot refugee in 1697 and settled in Jamestown.
He married a Miss Cary of Warwick County. He died in 1730 leaving
issue of three sons, none of which married. He also left three
daughters. Elizabeth married Richard Ambler. Mary married John
Smith who is believed to have been a member of the House of
Burgesses, of the Council and of the Board of Visitors of William &
Mary College. Martha died unmarried in 1804, at age 93. It is said
that Edward Jaquelin “Died as he had lived, one of the most wealthy
men in the colony.”
Return to top
Next page >