Public Genealogical Resources
In Grateful Remembrance
. . . Colonial Ancestor Profiles (cont.)
| JEAN PAUL JACQUETT
Tracing the ancestry of many continental families, even though exact
places of origin are known, is a difficult task in part because the
destruction of records caused by the 30 Years War (1618-1648.)
Records show, however, that the ancestry of Jean Paul Jaquett can be
traced back to the 15th century.
Jean Paul Jaquett was
born in Nuremburg, Bavaria, about 1615-1620. He was the son of
Peter Paul and Anna Maria Jaquet (Bavarian spelling.) He left his
native land and settled for a time in Holland, where he became
identified with the Dutch West India Company, spending some years in
their service in Brazil. He married in Holland, Maria de Carpentier.
Church records show that he was baptized in New York City at the
Dutch Reformed Church, July 18, 1655. This indicates that he was
among the many settlers from a variety of European Communities who
were attracted to the New Netherlands, the Dutch Colony along the
Hudson River. He arrived about the years 1650-1655. Records also
show that he was appointed vice-director and chief magistrate of the
South River of the New Netherlands.
After the capture by the
English in 1664 he became a subject of Great Britain. He was
appointed Justice of the Peace and served until the delivery of the
territory to William Penn in October 1682. In 1684 he obtained
warrant for a tract of land, 290 acres south of Wilmington, known as
“Long Hook.” It was owned until the middle of the 19th century by descendants, of which one was Major Peter Jaquett, a well
known personage in the American Revolution.
Return to top
| DANIEL LEEDS
Thomas Leeds, a signer of "Concessions and Agreements" arrived in
America, from England in 1676, with his wife and three sons,
William, Daniel and Thomas. He settled in East Jersey, near
Shrewsbury. His wife died shortly after their arrival in New
Jersey. On August 6, 1678 he married Margaret Collier of Marcus
Hook "On Ye Delaware River" at Burlington Meeting.
Daniel, the second son of Thomas Leeds and his
first wife, was the progenitor of the Leeds Family in Burlington
County. He was married when he arrived in America, but his wife
also died shortly after their arrival. Soon after, he married Anne
Stacy at Burlington on February 21, 1681. The meeting record states
"Daniel Leeds, late of Shrewsbury, East Jersey, Cooper" which
indicates that he had already settled in the neighborhood of
Burlington. On October 21, 1680 Daniel Leeds purchased a tract of
land from Robert Stacy, located near Springfield (now Jacksonville)
in Springfield Township on the south side of Assiscunk Creek and
settled on this plantation. Anne Stacy Leeds died on December 3,
1681. Two years later Daniel married Dorothy Young. They had eight
Daniel Leeds was an active surveyor and in
1696 he made the first map of Burlington County. He served as a
member of the Governor's Council, under Lord Cornbury, the first
Governor of the Province, after the surrender of East and West
Jersey to the Crown in 1702. He was appointed Surveyor General in
1681 and served until 1710. He was also a member of the Assembly
from Burlington in 1682 and Justice of the Supreme Court in 1709.
He was mentioned as an astrologer by Benjamin Franklin in his "Poor
Richard Almanac" for 1735 and Allibone referred to him as "the
first author in the Provinces south of New York."
Return to top
| ROBERT LUCAS
Robert Lucas was Ohio’s twelfth governor. His father William Lucas,
was a descendant of Robert Lucas, an English Quaker who came to
America in 1679, enlisted in the American Revolution and in 1781,
when the future governor was only a few months old, volunteered for
service against the Indians on the frontier. Robert Lucas was born
at Shepherdstown, Virginia on April 1, 1781. His mother was
Susannah Barnes. Little is known of his early life, except that a
Scotch tutor taught him mathematics and surveying. At age 19 his
family moved to Scioto County, Ohio, then Northwest Territory. In
1803 he was appointed surveyor of Scioto County. He joined the
state militia. In 1812 he organized a battalion of volunteers from
his Ohio militia brigade. He was a captain in the summer of 1812 in
General Hull’s campaign against Canada, as well as maintaining his
position of Brigadier general in the militia. After Hull’s
surrender he returned home to a sick wife, who soon died leaving a
daughter of one year and a half. In 1816 he became a major general
in the militia, but saw no more combat.
In 1808-9 he served in
the Ohio House of Representatives. In 1814 he was elected to the
state senate. He represented Scioto and other neighboring counties
until 1822, then again in 1824-28 and 1823-30. He was returned to
the lower house in 1831 for the last time. He supported legislation
for canals, public schools and a strong militia.
In 1816 he married Miss
Friendly Ashley Sumner, moved to Pike County, opened a general store
and built a grand house “Friendly Grove,” in honor of his wife,
which is still standing on the original site two miles from Piketon.
He had become very prominent in the state and was an ardent
supporter of Andrew Jackson. Democratic Republicans chose him to run
for governor against Duncan McArthur, an old friend, but he lost.
In May 1832 he was elected chairman of the first Democratic national
convention. In 1832 he won the election for governor over Darius
Lyman. He was re-elected for a second term over James Findlay, the
anti-Jackson candidate. This term he played a decisive role in the
“Toledo War,” a battle between Ohio and Michigan for territory that
was the terminus of the Miami-Erie Canal. Ohio won, but Michigan was
awarded land around Lake Michigan. He was unable to negotiate a
treaty with the Wyandot Indians in 1834 to move west. He was
involved in various other territorial disputes and finally retired
in 1841. In 1844 he built a brick house at “Plum Grove” and retired
to spend time with his wife and family of six children, as well as
to compose religious poems and hymns. He died February 7, 1853 and
was buried at Iowa City.
Return to top
| WILLIAM LUCKETT
William Luckett, son of Samuel and Anne Luckett, was born about the
year 1711, probably at Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland.
About 1725, then an orphan, he was placed under the care of James
Middleton, by court orders to learn a profitable trade. Although
Middleton was censured in 1728 for neglecting to teach William
Luckett to read and write, William nevertheless became very
proficient in letters, as is ascertained by many documents written
and signed by him that are preserved in the Court House of Frederick
William’s wife was
Charity, daughter of John and Mary (Wheeler) Middleton, born in
1717. The Middletons deeded William and Charity 195 acres in
Prince Georges County in 1740. William and Charity had ten
children. They settled in the new county of Frederick on the
western slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains. William became a force
in the community and one of the most outstanding subjects of the
Lord Proprietor. Before his death he had attained high military and
civil honors and was the first of the Lucketts to gain any
significant colonial importance.
was a vestryman at All Saint’s Parish, the mother church, of
Frederick County and was closely identified with its growth. He
commanded a company of militia from Frederick County in the French
and Indian Wars, one account showing his company in continuous and
active service for 30 days. His eldest sons, William and Samuel
were in the company as well. In addition to his military campaigns
for many years he was one of the magistrates of Frederick County and
is known as one of the “Twelve Immortal Justices” who repudiated the
Stamp Act of November 23, 1765. He was most active in the cause of
the Patriots in the trying days before the American Revolution. In
1775 he held the rank of lieutenant colonel and he was actively
engaged in the battle of Germantown. He died in 1783.
Return to top
| COLONIAL THOMAS MARSHALL
Colonel Thomas Marshall was born on April 30, 1730 in Westmoreland
County, Virginia to Captain John Marshall and his wife, Elizabeth
Markham. Captain John Marshall’s father, also John Marshall, had
been a Captain of Cavalry in the service of Charles I and immigrated
to Virginia about 1650. He died in 1704 in Westmoreland County,
Thomas Marshall was not
formally educated but was ambitious and became a successful surveyor
and land agent. George Washington was a neighbor and childhood
friend. The two became close friends for the remainder of their
lives. They both became surveyors and Washington helped Marshall
obtain employment with Lord Fairfax as a surveyor of Lord Fairfax’s
royal grant of five million acres in the Northern Neck of Virginia.
Thomas Marshall moved to
Germantown in Fauquier County when his father died in 1752. In 1754
he married Mary Randolph Keith, the daughter of the Reverend James
Keith of Hamilton Parish. She was intelligent and well educated.
She taught her children at home. The two lived in a small home in
Germantown and began their family, which would grow to fifteen
children. Thomas collected quitrents for Lord Fairfax and later
served as both tax collector and sheriff.
After the birth of their
third child in 1760s, the family moved and built a house near
present day Markham, a frontier town on the banks of Goose Creek.
The house was known as “The Hollow,” measured 16 x 20 feet with two
rooms on the first floor and two in the loft. Here the next seven
children were born which resulted in two parents and ten children
living in four small rooms.
Thomas Marshall became a
member of the Fauquier County and represented the House of Burgesses
in the 1760s and ‘70s. By 1773 Colonel Thomas Marshall had
accumulated wealth and he purchased an estate near the North Cobbler
Mountain. When he died in 1802 Thomas Marshall owned more than
200,000 acres in Virginia and Kentucky. The Chief Justice of the
U.S. Supreme Court, John Marshall, was the oldest of his fifteen
children. Both father and son participated in most of the principal
battles of the Revolutionary War.
Return to top
| JAMES MINOT
Lemuel Shattuck in his “History of the Town of Concord,” speaks of
the Minots as a distinguished family going back to Thomas Minot,
Secretary to the Abbot of Walden in Essex. His son, George Minot,
born in 1594, came to New England and was among the first settlers
of Dorchester, Massachusetts. George had four sons with one named
John Minot (1628-1669). John also had four sons one of whom was
James, born 1653. James attended Harvard College. He moved in 1680
to Concord, Massachusetts. Shattuck tells further how “James
preached in Stow, Massachusetts in 1685 for twelve shillings six
pence per day, one half cash, one half Indian corn.” Also that,
“James practiced physic, was a captain, justice of the peace,
representative to the Massachusetts “General Court” or House of
Representatives and was eminently a useful man.” He died in 1735.
Shattuck continues to say that Concord’s James
Minot married Rebecca Wheeler (1666-1734), the daughter of an early
settler Timothy Wheeler (1601-1687). Timothy Wheeler, among other
things had come to own the mill in Concord. The shopping area at
the center of Concord is still called the “Milldam,” this being
where the settlers had dammed the brook and established their first
mill. Timothy Wheeler, who died not long after Rebecca’s marriage,
left the mill to her in his will. This made the James Minot family
among the more prosperous inhabitants of Concord. James and Rebecca
Minot had ten children. The fifth of these was also named James
(1694-1759) and Shattuck calls him “one of the most distinguished
men of his time.”
A later ancestor Captain Jonas Minot was the
stepfather of Henry David Thoreau.
Return to top
| ANTHONY MORRIS
Anthony Morris, Quaker preacher and Mayor of Philadelphia, was born
in the parish of Stepney, London, England on August 23, 1654. He
was the son of Anthony Morris and Elizabeth Senior. On arrival in
America, he settled first in New Jersey and in 1683 removed to
Philadelphia, where his name appears as an alderman in the City
Charter March 20, 1691. The following year, he was appointed a
Judge of the Courts of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions and of the
Orphans’ Court, of which he became the presiding judge. In 1694 he
was named a Judge of the Supreme Court. William Penn, reporting to
the Lords of Trade in London on the conditions in the Province
noted, “Morris is one of the most sufficient as well as diligent
magistrates there.” In 1695-97 he was a member of the Provincial
Council and for several years a member of the Assembly. Eventually,
in 1704 he became Mayor of Philadelphia.
Anthony Morris was a committed Quaker. He
began to preach in 1701 and not long thereafter came to devote
nearly all his time to ministerial labor with the Society of
Friends, traveling through most of the North American provinces.
After Morris’s death on October 24, 1721, his
son, also named Anthony, followed in his father’s footsteps not only
as judge, member of the Assembly and Mayor, but for almost forty
years as one of the most influential members of the Society of
Friends in Philadelphia
Robert C. Moon, M.D., “The Morris Family of Philadelphia:
Descendants of Anthony Morris (1654-1721),” 5 vols. (Philadelphia,
1898-1909) and “Appleton’s Cyclopedia of American Biography,” ed.
James Grant Wilson and John Fiske, 6 vols. (New York, 1887-1889)
Return to top
| REVEREND PIERRE ROBERT
An account states that “Rev. Pierre Robert was the first Huguenot
preacher to set foot on the shores of the New World. He was of
sturdy stock, whose fearless spirit, neither the cruelty of
religious persecution nor the dangers of the ocean and fear of the
savage could intimidate or subdue.”
Reverend Pierre Robert was born in Basle,
Switzerland. He was ordained in Switzerland in 1682. In 1686,
after the revocation of “The Edict of Nantes,” he immigrated to
America along with a Captain Philip Gendron. He settled on the
Santee River, either in or near Jamestown, Virginia. He led the
Huguenot Colony and was the first rector of the Parish of St. James
Santee. He later became an Anglican. He died in 1715.
Records tell of the Village of Robertville
(most likely named for Reverend Robert) in the Beaufort District.
It is now a small country settlement, but was once of historic
interest, renown for the beauty of its churches. The village’s
glory ended during “Sherman’s March,” when soldiers destroyed the
noted church and the surrounding plantation homes.
A famous descendant of Reverend Pierre Robert
was General Henry Martyn Robert, the country’s leading
parliamentarian. He was born in Robertville. His “Robert’s Rules
of Order,” an authoritative work on parliamentary procedure was
published for the first time in February 1876.
Return to top
| THOMAS ROBERTS
Thomas Roberts, presumed to have been the son of John Roberts of
Woolaston, England, was born around 1600. Thomas came to the New
World by 1623, settling near what is now Dover, New Hampshire, and
he was married in 1627 to Rebecca Hilton, who may have been the
sister of fellow settler Edward Hilton.
In 1639-40 Thomas was elected “President of
the Court,” an office of agency for the Bristol Co., the proprietors
of Dover. At the March 1640 elections, Thomas was chosen Governor
or President of the County in place of Gov. John Underhill. He held
that office until Dover (then Northam) came under Massachusetts in
1642. Later he held various minor town offices; he was a regular
member of the church for many years, but was inclined to be liberal
in his views, so when the Quaker missionaries came to Dover he
favored giving them a fair hearing and opposed having the women
whipped, as they were by order of the court.
Thomas Roberts died in 1671 and was buried in the oldest cemetery in Dover, which is adjacent
to the Roberts homestead on the high bank of the Fore River at what was known as Dover Neck.
Thomas and Rebecca had four daughters and two sons.
Sources: "Colonial Era History of Dover, NH" by John Scales, p. 302;
and Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, Noyes, p.589.
Return to top
| JOHN SANBORN
John Sanborn or John Samborne (as it was spelled then) came to
America with his two brothers and his maternal grandfather from
Berkshire, England, in 1632. They settled in Hampton, New
Hampshire, and John's grandfather, Stephen Bachiller, became a
John Samborne grew up to be a selectman in Hampton. He served as
Lieutenant in the King William's War in 1689. His first wife, Mary
Tuck, died in 1668 and he remarried. John died on October 20,
1692. Two generations later the name was changed to Sanborn.
Return to top
| WILLIAM SHURTLEFF
William Shurtleff was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1657. He
was the son of William Shurtleff (born in Hallamshire, England, on
the 16th of May 1624) and Elizabeth Lettice Shurtleff. He was the
first native born Shurtleff. He was commonly spoken of as "William
the surveyor" and was the eldest son and heir apparent. He spent
most of his life in Plymouth where he held offices of "honor, as
well as labor and trust." He was for many years one of the
selectmen of the town, captain of a military company, delegate to
the Provincial Assembly in 1694 and town treasurer from 1695 to
On June 4, 1707, a portion of the town of Plymouth was set off
and incorporated by the name of Plympton. William Shurtleff was
chosen on March 1, 1707/08, for their first town clerk and served
until March 2, 1710/11. It is to him we are indebted for the early
records of that town. He was the first captain of the military
company at Plympton. Tradition says that he was a very wealthy man
for the time in which he lived and that he was a distinguished
surveyor, owned land all over the colony, built the first wharf in
Plymouth, erected the first warehouse and settled the dispute
between Sandwich and Plymouth.
William Shurtleff died in Plymouth on February 4, 1729/30 and is
buried there with his wife and other members of the Shurtleff
Return to top
| HENRY SLAGLE
Henry Slagle was born August 20, 1735, in the county of Lancaster,
Pennsylvania. During his lifespan he accomplished many noble
endeavors. Throughout his late twenties and early thirties he
served as Justice of the Peace of York County.
Later in life as duty to his country called, Lieutenant Colonel
Henry Slagle served in the 3rd Battalion of York County Associators
in the year 1775. Henry went on to become York County's Delegate to
the Provincial Conference of Committees at Carpenter's Hill from
June 18 to June 28, 1776. He passed away February 14, 1811.
Return to top
| LIEUTENANT SAMUEL SMITH
Lt. Samuel Smith was born in 1602 in Hadleigh, Suffolk, England. He
was christened on October 9, 1628 in Hadleigh, England. He died on
January 17, 1681 in Hadley, Massachusetts.
In April of 1634, Lt. Samuel Smith, at the age
of thirty-two, set sail for America on the “Elizabeth of Ipswich”
with his wife Elizabeth and their four children; Philip aged one,
Samuel aged nine, Elizabeth aged seven and Mary aged four. At first
the family settled in Watertown, Massachusetts then moved to
Wetherfield, Connecticut. Finally, because of church disputes in
Wetherfield they moved to Hadley, Massachusetts, where two more sons
Hadley, because of his integrity and soundness of judgment, Lt.
Smith was chosen for town affair’s management. For many years he
was deputy to the Massachusetts General Court, Associate Magistrate
at the Hampshire County Court and Lieutenant of the Hadley Company
from 1663-1673. He also held important offices in his church and
was chosen a Townsman (Selectman) many times. He died at the age
of seventy five and his wife died in 1686 at the age of eighty-four.
Return to top
| WILLIAM TELLER
William Teller, of Holland, was the founder of the Teller family in
America. He was born in 1620 and died in 1701. He arrived in New
Netherlands in 1639. That same year he was sent by Governor Kieft
to Fort Orange, now Albany, and subsequently became quartermaster at
the fort. He lived in Albany from 1639 until 1692, when he returned
to New York where he became a merchant.
William Teller was one of the five patentees of
the town of Schenectady in 1684, although he never lived there. The
Teller family is prominent in the history of Albany and Schenectady
counties, where they had large interests. William Teller first
married Margaret Donchensen with whom he had six children. His
second wife was Maria Varleth with whom he had three more children.
Return to top
| NATHANIEL VENABLE
The following appears on a bronze plaque on
Venable's gravestone in the family cemetery outside the campus of
Hampden-Sydney College near Farmville, Virginia.
Planter, Vestry Clerk of French's Church
St. Patrick Parish
Member of the House of Burgesses 1766-69
Member of the Prince Edward Committeeof Safety
Captain in the Revolutionary War
Member of the House of Delegates
Member of the Virginia Senate 1780-82
Justice of the Peace Prince Edward County
County Lieutenant of Prince Edward
A Founder of Hampden-Sydney College
And Trustee Until 1804
Wife of Nathaniel Venable and Mother of
His Fourteen Children, Seven of Whom
Are Buried Here
Of such as these were
the corner stones
of our nation
Return to top
| RICHARD WARD
Richard Ward was born in Newport, Rhode Island on April 15, 1689,
the third child of Thomas Ward (1641-1689) and his second wife, Amy
Billings (1658-1732). Richard's father Thomas emigrated from
Glouchester, England, where he had served as an officer in one of
Cromwell's cavalry regiments.
Like his father before him, Richard Ward was a merchant. He
served as Attorney General from 1712 to 1713. He was deputy and
clerk of the Rhode Island Colonial Assembly in 1714 and recorder
from 1714 to 1730. He was Deputy Governor in 1740, and ascended to
the governorship in July of that year upon the death of Governor
Wanton. He served three terms until 1743.
On November 2, 1709, Richard Ward was married to Mary Tillinghast
(1690-1767). Their son Samuel, the ninth of fourteen children, also
served as Governor of Rhode Island. Richard Ward died on the 21st
of August in 1763.
Return to top
| JOEL WATKINS
Joel Watkins was born March 4, 1784 and was married in Virginia. He
moved to Tennessee in 1830. He served in the War of 1812. He was a
justice of the peace in Tennessee for several years and a member of
the Missionary Baptist Church as was his wife Silva. He died in
Joel Watkins was the son of Thomas Watkins, of
English descent and an old time Virginian who was an officer in the
Revolutionary War. Thomas was with General Washington at the
surrender at Yorktown and represented his county in the state
legislature a number of times. Thomas Watkins’ wife Fanny was a
daughter of Thomas White also originally from Virginia. He was a
captain of a company in the American troops during the Revolutionary
Return to top
| WILLIAM WHITFIELD
William Whitfield II was born May 20, 1715 and died March 31, 1795.
His father, William Whitfield I, came from Lancashire, England to
Virginia in the early part of the 19th century. He
married, settled in Bertie County, North Carolina and had 10
children. According to legend, while on their way to visit one of
their children they were murdered by Indians.
Their son William Whitfield II married Rachel
Bryan (1722-1780) on November 6, 1741, in the Bryan home in Bertie,
North Carolina. After they married they moved to the rich lands on
the Neuse River in Dobbs County, North Carolina, where they raised
their family 4 sons and 5 daughters. Over the course of their
lifetimes, they built three different homes along the river,
“Rockford,” “White Hall” and a plantation called “Pleasant Plains,”
where William and Rachel died.
William Whitfield II was a leader in county
affairs. He was appointed Justice of the Peace by the Council held
in New Bern, North Carolina in 1750, represented Dobbs County as a
member of the Assembly held in Wilmington, North Carolina in 1761-62
and was a member of Governor Caswell’s council in 1779. He was also
a captain in the North Carolina Militia and later a colonel.
Three of William Whitfield II sons - Bryan,
William III and Needham - were in the American Revolution fighting
from the beginning, at the battle of Moore’s Creek Bridge, up to the end of the war at Yorktown. Needham
served as a lieutenant in the Continental Army and Bryan rose to the
rank of brigadier general in the Militia. From 1805-1815, Bryan was
a trustee of the University of North Carolina.
Return to top
< Previous page