Site index

Public Genealogical Resources

Ancestor Bibliographies

Ancestor Profiles

In Grateful Remembrance

. . . Colonial Ancestor Profiles (cont.)


Tracing the ancestry of many continental families, even though exact places of origin are known, is a difficult task in part because the destruction of records caused by the 30 Years War (1618-1648.)  Records show, however, that the ancestry of Jean Paul Jaquett can be traced back to the 15th century.

Jean Paul Jaquett was born in Nuremburg, Bavaria, about 1615-1620.  He was the son of Peter Paul and Anna Maria Jaquet (Bavarian spelling.)  He left his native land and settled for a time in Holland, where he became identified with the Dutch West India Company, spending some years in their service in Brazil.  He married in Holland, Maria de Carpentier.  Church records show that he was baptized in New York City at the Dutch Reformed Church, July 18, 1655.  This indicates that he was among the many settlers from a variety of European Communities who were attracted to the New Netherlands, the Dutch Colony along the Hudson River.  He arrived about the years 1650-1655.  Records also show that he was appointed vice-director and chief magistrate of the South River of the New Netherlands. 

After the capture by the English in 1664 he became a subject of Great Britain.  He was appointed Justice of the Peace and served until the delivery of the territory to William Penn in October 1682.  In 1684 he obtained warrant for a tract of land, 290 acres south of Wilmington, known as “Long Hook.”  It was owned until the middle of the 19th century by descendants, of which one was Major Peter Jaquett, a well known personage in the American Revolution.

Return to top


Thomas Leeds, a signer of "Concessions and Agreements" arrived in America, from England in 1676, with his wife and three sons, William, Daniel and Thomas.  He settled in East Jersey, near Shrewsbury.  His wife died shortly after their arrival in New Jersey.  On August 6, 1678 he married Margaret Collier of Marcus Hook "On Ye Delaware River" at Burlington Meeting.

Daniel, the second son of Thomas Leeds and his first wife, was the progenitor of the Leeds Family in Burlington County.  He was married when he arrived in America, but his wife also died shortly after their arrival.  Soon after, he married Anne Stacy at Burlington on February 21, 1681.  The meeting record states "Daniel Leeds, late of Shrewsbury, East Jersey, Cooper" which indicates that he had already settled in the neighborhood of Burlington.  On October 21, 1680 Daniel Leeds purchased a tract of land from Robert Stacy, located near Springfield (now Jacksonville) in Springfield Township on the south side of Assiscunk Creek and settled on this plantation.  Anne Stacy Leeds died on December 3, 1681.  Two years later Daniel married Dorothy Young.  They had eight children.

Daniel Leeds was an active surveyor and in 1696 he made the first map of Burlington County.  He served as a member of the Governor's Council, under Lord Cornbury, the first Governor of the Province, after the surrender of East and West Jersey to the Crown in 1702.  He was appointed Surveyor General in 1681 and served until 1710.  He was also a member of the Assembly from Burlington in 1682 and Justice of the Supreme Court in 1709.  He was mentioned as an astrologer by Benjamin Franklin in his "Poor Richard Almanac" for 1735 and Allibone referred to him as "the first author in the Provinces south of New York."

Return to top


Robert Lucas was Ohio’s twelfth governor.  His father William Lucas, was a descendant of Robert Lucas, an English Quaker who came to America in 1679, enlisted in the American Revolution and in 1781, when the future governor was only a few months old, volunteered for service against the Indians on the frontier.  Robert Lucas was born at Shepherdstown, Virginia on April 1, 1781.  His mother was Susannah Barnes.  Little is known of his early life, except that a Scotch tutor taught him mathematics and surveying.  At age 19 his family moved to Scioto County, Ohio, then Northwest Territory.  In 1803 he was appointed surveyor of Scioto County.  He joined the state militia.  In 1812 he organized a battalion of volunteers from his Ohio militia brigade.  He was a captain in the summer of 1812 in General Hull’s campaign against Canada, as well as maintaining his position of Brigadier general in the militia.  After Hull’s surrender he returned home to a sick wife, who soon died leaving a daughter of one year and a half.  In 1816 he became a major general in the militia, but saw no more combat.

In 1808-9 he served in the Ohio House of Representatives.  In 1814 he was elected to the state senate.  He represented Scioto and other neighboring counties until 1822, then again in 1824-28 and 1823-30.  He was returned to the lower house in 1831 for the last time.  He supported legislation for canals, public schools and a strong militia.

In 1816 he married Miss Friendly Ashley Sumner, moved to Pike County, opened a general store and built a grand house “Friendly Grove,” in honor of his wife, which is still standing on the original site two miles from Piketon.

He had become very prominent in the state and was an ardent supporter of Andrew Jackson. Democratic Republicans chose him to run for governor against Duncan McArthur, an old friend, but he lost.  In May 1832 he was elected chairman of the first Democratic national convention.  In 1832 he won the election for governor over Darius Lyman.  He was re-elected for a second term over James Findlay, the anti-Jackson candidate.  This term he played a decisive role in the “Toledo War,” a battle between Ohio and Michigan for territory that was the terminus of the Miami-Erie Canal. Ohio won, but Michigan was awarded land around Lake Michigan.  He was unable to negotiate a treaty with the Wyandot Indians in 1834 to move west.  He was involved in various other territorial disputes and finally retired in 1841.  In 1844 he built a brick house at “Plum Grove” and retired to spend time with his wife and family of six children, as well as to compose religious poems and hymns.  He died February 7, 1853 and was buried at Iowa City.

Return to top


William Luckett, son of Samuel and Anne Luckett, was born about the year 1711, probably at Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland.  About 1725, then an orphan, he was placed under the care of James Middleton, by court orders to learn a profitable trade.  Although Middleton was censured in 1728 for neglecting to teach William Luckett to read and write, William nevertheless became very proficient in letters, as is ascertained by many documents written and signed by him that are preserved in the Court House of Frederick County.

William’s wife was Charity, daughter of John and Mary (Wheeler) Middleton, born in 1717.   The Middletons deeded William and Charity 195 acres in Prince Georges County in 1740.  William and Charity had ten children.  They settled in the new county of Frederick on the western slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  William became a force in the community and one of the most outstanding subjects of the Lord Proprietor.  Before his death he had attained high military and civil honors and was the first of the Lucketts to gain any significant colonial importance.

William was a vestryman at All Saint’s Parish, the mother church, of Frederick County and was closely identified with its growth.  He commanded a company of militia from Frederick County in the French and Indian Wars, one account showing his company in continuous and active service for 30 days.  His eldest sons, William and Samuel were in the company as well.   In addition to his military campaigns for many years he was one of the magistrates of Frederick County and is known as one of the “Twelve Immortal Justices” who repudiated the Stamp Act of November 23, 1765.  He was most active in the cause of the Patriots in the trying days before the American Revolution.  In 1775 he held the rank of lieutenant colonel and he was actively engaged in the battle of Germantown.  He died in 1783.

Return to top


Colonel Thomas Marshall was born on April 30, 1730 in Westmoreland County, Virginia to Captain John Marshall and his wife, Elizabeth Markham. Captain John Marshall’s father, also John Marshall, had been a Captain of Cavalry in the service of Charles I and immigrated to Virginia about 1650.  He died in 1704 in Westmoreland County, Virginia.

Thomas Marshall was not formally educated but was ambitious and became a successful surveyor and land agent.  George Washington was a neighbor and childhood friend.  The two became close friends for the remainder of their lives.  They both became surveyors and Washington helped Marshall obtain employment with Lord Fairfax as a surveyor of Lord Fairfax’s royal grant of five million acres in the Northern Neck of Virginia.

Thomas Marshall moved to Germantown in Fauquier County when his father died in 1752.  In 1754 he married Mary Randolph Keith, the daughter of the Reverend James Keith of Hamilton Parish.  She was intelligent and well educated.  She taught her children at home.  The two lived in a small home in Germantown and began their family, which would grow to fifteen children.  Thomas collected quitrents for Lord Fairfax and later served as both tax collector and sheriff.

After the birth of their third child in 1760s, the family moved and built a house near present day Markham, a frontier town on the banks of Goose Creek.  The house was known as “The Hollow,” measured 16 x 20 feet with two rooms on the first floor and two in the loft.  Here the next seven children were born which resulted in two parents and ten children living in four small rooms.

Thomas Marshall became a member of the Fauquier County and represented the House of Burgesses in the 1760s and ‘70s.  By 1773 Colonel Thomas Marshall had accumulated wealth and he purchased an estate near the North Cobbler Mountain.  When he died in 1802 Thomas Marshall owned more than 200,000 acres in Virginia and Kentucky.  The Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, John Marshall, was the oldest of his fifteen children.  Both father and son participated in most of the principal battles of the Revolutionary War. 

Return to top


Lemuel Shattuck in his “History of the Town of Concord,” speaks of the Minots as a distinguished family going back to Thomas Minot, Secretary to the Abbot of Walden in Essex.  His son, George Minot, born in 1594, came to New England and was among the first settlers of Dorchester, Massachusetts.  George had four sons with one named John Minot (1628-1669).  John also had four sons one of whom was James, born 1653.  James attended Harvard College.  He moved in 1680 to Concord, Massachusetts. Shattuck tells further how “James preached in Stow, Massachusetts in 1685 for twelve shillings six pence per day, one half cash, one half Indian corn.”   Also that, “James practiced physic, was a captain, justice of the peace, representative to the Massachusetts “General Court” or House of Representatives and was eminently a useful man.”  He died in 1735.

Shattuck continues to say that Concord’s James Minot married Rebecca Wheeler (1666-1734), the daughter of an early settler Timothy Wheeler (1601-1687).  Timothy Wheeler, among other things had come to own the mill in Concord.  The shopping area at the center of Concord is still called the “Milldam,” this being where the settlers had dammed the brook and established their first mill.  Timothy Wheeler, who died not long after Rebecca’s marriage, left the mill to her in his will.  This made the James Minot family among the more prosperous inhabitants of Concord.  James and Rebecca Minot had ten children.  The fifth of these was also named James (1694-1759) and Shattuck calls him “one of the most distinguished men of his time.”

A later ancestor Captain Jonas Minot was the stepfather of Henry David Thoreau.

Return to top


Anthony Morris, Quaker preacher and Mayor of Philadelphia, was born in the parish of Stepney, London, England on August 23, 1654.  He was the son of Anthony Morris and Elizabeth Senior.  On arrival in America, he settled first in New Jersey and in 1683 removed to Philadelphia, where his name appears as an alderman in the City Charter March 20, 1691.  The following year, he was appointed a Judge of the Courts of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions and of the Orphans’ Court, of which he became the presiding judge.  In 1694 he was named a Judge of the Supreme Court.  William Penn, reporting to the Lords of Trade in London on the conditions in the Province noted, “Morris is one of the most sufficient as well as diligent magistrates there.”  In 1695-97 he was a member of the Provincial Council and for several years a member of the Assembly.  Eventually, in 1704 he became Mayor of Philadelphia.

Anthony Morris was a committed Quaker.  He began to preach in 1701 and not long thereafter came to devote nearly all his time to ministerial labor with the Society of Friends, traveling through most of the North American provinces.

After Morris’s death on October 24, 1721, his son, also named Anthony, followed in his father’s footsteps not only as judge, member of the Assembly and Mayor, but for almost forty years as one of the most influential members of the Society of Friends in Philadelphia

Robert C. Moon, M.D.,  “The Morris Family of Philadelphia:  Descendants of Anthony Morris (1654-1721),” 5 vols. (Philadelphia, 1898-1909) and “Appleton’s Cyclopedia of American Biography,” ed. James Grant Wilson and John Fiske, 6 vols. (New York, 1887-1889)

Return to top


An account states that “Rev. Pierre Robert was the first Huguenot preacher to set foot on the shores of the New World.  He was of sturdy stock, whose fearless spirit, neither the cruelty of religious persecution nor the dangers of the ocean and fear of the savage could intimidate or subdue.”

Reverend Pierre Robert was born in Basle, Switzerland.  He was ordained in Switzerland in 1682.  In 1686, after the revocation of “The Edict of Nantes,” he immigrated to America along with a Captain Philip Gendron.  He settled on the Santee River, either in or near Jamestown, Virginia.  He led the Huguenot Colony and was the first rector of the Parish of St. James Santee.  He later became an Anglican.  He died in 1715.

Records tell of the Village of Robertville (most likely named for Reverend Robert) in the Beaufort District.  It is now a small country settlement, but was once of historic interest, renown for the beauty of its churches.  The village’s glory ended during “Sherman’s March,” when soldiers destroyed the noted church and the surrounding plantation homes.

A famous descendant of Reverend Pierre Robert was General Henry Martyn Robert, the country’s leading parliamentarian.  He was born in Robertville.  His “Robert’s Rules of Order,” an authoritative work on parliamentary procedure was published for the first time in February 1876.

Return to top


Thomas Roberts, presumed to have been the son of John Roberts of Woolaston, England, was born around 1600.  Thomas came to the New World by 1623, settling near what is now Dover, New Hampshire, and he was married in 1627 to Rebecca Hilton, who may have been the sister of fellow settler Edward Hilton.

In 1639-40 Thomas  was elected “President of the Court,” an office of agency for the Bristol Co., the proprietors of Dover.  At the March 1640 elections, Thomas was chosen Governor or President of the County in place of Gov. John Underhill.  He held that office until Dover (then Northam) came under Massachusetts in 1642.   Later he held various minor town offices;  he was a regular member of the church for many years, but was inclined to be liberal in his views, so when the Quaker missionaries came to Dover he favored giving them a fair hearing and opposed having the women whipped, as they were by order of the court. 

Thomas Roberts died in 1671 and was buried in the oldest cemetery in Dover, which is adjacent to the Roberts homestead on the high bank of the Fore River at what was known as Dover Neck. Thomas and Rebecca had four daughters and two sons.  
Sources:  "Colonial Era History of Dover, NH" by John Scales, p. 302; 
and Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, Noyes, p.589.

Return to top


John Sanborn or John Samborne (as it was spelled then) came to America with his two brothers and his maternal grandfather from Berkshire, England, in 1632.  They settled in Hampton, New Hampshire, and John's grandfather, Stephen Bachiller, became a minister there. 

John Samborne grew up to be a selectman in Hampton.  He served as Lieutenant in the King William's War in 1689.  His first wife, Mary Tuck, died in 1668 and he remarried.  John died on October 20, 1692.  Two generations later the name was changed to Sanborn.

Return to top


William Shurtleff was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1657.  He was the son of William Shurtleff (born in Hallamshire, England, on the 16th of May 1624) and Elizabeth Lettice Shurtleff.  He was the first native born Shurtleff.  He was commonly spoken of as "William the surveyor" and was the eldest son and heir apparent.  He spent most of his life in Plymouth where he held offices of "honor, as well as labor and trust."  He was for many years one of the selectmen of the town, captain of a military company, delegate to the Provincial Assembly in 1694 and town treasurer from 1695 to 1704.

On June 4, 1707, a portion of the town of Plymouth was set off and incorporated by the name of Plympton.  William Shurtleff was chosen on March 1, 1707/08, for their first town clerk and served until March 2, 1710/11.  It is to him we are indebted for the early records of that town.  He was the first captain of the military company at Plympton.  Tradition says that he was a very wealthy man for the time in which he lived and that he was a distinguished surveyor, owned land all over the colony, built the first wharf in Plymouth, erected the first warehouse and settled the dispute between Sandwich and Plymouth. 

William Shurtleff died in Plymouth on February 4, 1729/30 and is buried there with his wife and other members of the Shurtleff family.

Return to top


Henry Slagle was born August 20, 1735, in the county of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  During his lifespan he accomplished many noble endeavors.  Throughout his late twenties and early thirties he served as Justice of the Peace of York County.

Later in life as duty to his country called, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Slagle served in the 3rd Battalion of York County Associators in the year 1775.  Henry went on to become York County's Delegate to the Provincial Conference of Committees at Carpenter's Hill from June 18 to June 28, 1776.  He passed away February 14, 1811.

Return to top


Lt. Samuel Smith was born in 1602 in Hadleigh, Suffolk, England.  He was christened on October 9, 1628 in Hadleigh, England.  He died on January 17, 1681 in Hadley, Massachusetts.

 In April of 1634, Lt. Samuel Smith, at the age of thirty-two, set sail for America on the “Elizabeth of Ipswich” with his wife Elizabeth and their four children; Philip aged one, Samuel aged nine, Elizabeth aged seven and Mary aged four.  At first the family settled in Watertown, Massachusetts then moved to Wetherfield, Connecticut.  Finally, because of church disputes in Wetherfield they moved to Hadley, Massachusetts, where two more sons were born.

 In Hadley, because of his integrity and soundness of judgment, Lt. Smith was chosen for town affair’s management.  For many years he was deputy to the Massachusetts General Court, Associate Magistrate at the Hampshire County Court and Lieutenant of the Hadley Company from 1663-1673.  He also held important offices in his church and was chosen a Townsman  (Selectman) many times.  He died at the age of seventy five and his wife died in 1686 at the age of eighty-four.

Return to top


William Teller, of Holland, was the founder of the Teller family in America.  He was born in 1620 and died in 1701.  He arrived in New Netherlands in 1639.  That same year he was sent by Governor Kieft to Fort Orange, now Albany, and subsequently became quartermaster at the fort.  He lived in Albany from 1639 until 1692, when he returned to New York where he became a merchant.

William Teller was one of the five patentees of the town of Schenectady in 1684, although he never lived there.  The Teller family is prominent in the history of Albany and Schenectady counties, where they had large interests.  William Teller first married Margaret Donchensen with whom he had six children.  His second wife was Maria Varleth with whom he had three more children.

Return to top


The following appears on a bronze plaque on Venable's gravestone in the family cemetery outside the campus of Hampden-Sydney College near Farmville, Virginia.

Planter, Vestry Clerk of French's Church
St. Patrick Parish
Member of the House of Burgesses 1766-69
Member of the Prince Edward Committeeof Safety
Captain in the Revolutionary War
Member of the House of Delegates
Member of the Virginia Senate 1780-82
Justice of the Peace Prince Edward County
County Lieutenant of Prince Edward
A Founder of Hampden-Sydney College
And Trustee Until 1804

Wife of Nathaniel Venable and Mother of
His Fourteen Children, Seven of Whom
Are Buried Here

Of such as these were the corner stones
of our nation

Return to top


Richard Ward was born in Newport, Rhode Island on April 15, 1689, the third child of Thomas Ward (1641-1689) and his second wife, Amy Billings (1658-1732).  Richard's father Thomas emigrated from Glouchester, England, where he had served as an officer in one of Cromwell's cavalry regiments.

Like his father before him, Richard Ward was a merchant.  He served as Attorney General from 1712 to 1713.  He was deputy and clerk of the Rhode Island Colonial Assembly in 1714 and recorder from 1714 to 1730.  He was Deputy Governor in 1740, and ascended to the governorship in July of that year upon the death of Governor Wanton.  He served three terms until 1743.

On November 2, 1709, Richard Ward was married to Mary Tillinghast (1690-1767).  Their son Samuel, the ninth of fourteen children, also served as Governor of Rhode Island.  Richard Ward died on the 21st of August in 1763.

Return to top


Joel Watkins was born March 4, 1784 and was married in Virginia.  He moved to Tennessee in 1830.  He served in the War of 1812.  He was a justice of the peace in Tennessee for several years and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church as was his wife Silva.  He died in 1863. 

 Joel Watkins was the son of Thomas Watkins, of English descent and an old time Virginian who was an officer in the Revolutionary War.  Thomas was with General Washington at the surrender at Yorktown and represented his county in the state legislature a number of times.  Thomas Watkins’ wife Fanny was a daughter of Thomas White also originally from Virginia.  He was a captain of a company in the American troops during the Revolutionary War.

Return to top


William Whitfield II was born May 20, 1715 and died March 31, 1795.  His father, William Whitfield I, came from Lancashire, England to Virginia in the early part of the 19th century.  He married, settled in Bertie County, North Carolina and had 10 children.  According to legend, while on their way to visit one of their children they were murdered by Indians.

Their son William Whitfield II married Rachel Bryan (1722-1780) on November 6, 1741, in the Bryan home in Bertie, North Carolina.  After they married they moved to the rich lands on the Neuse River in Dobbs County, North Carolina, where they raised their family 4 sons and 5 daughters.  Over the course of their lifetimes, they built three different homes along the river, “Rockford,” “White Hall” and a plantation called “Pleasant Plains,” where William and Rachel died.

William Whitfield II was a leader in county affairs.  He was appointed Justice of the Peace by the Council held in New Bern, North Carolina in 1750, represented Dobbs County as a member of the Assembly held in Wilmington, North Carolina in 1761-62 and was a member of Governor Caswell’s council in 1779.  He was also a captain in the North Carolina Militia and later a colonel.

Three of William Whitfield II sons - Bryan, William III and Needham  - were in the American Revolution fighting from the beginning, at the battle of Moore’s Creek Bridge,  up to the end of the war at Yorktown.  Needham served as a lieutenant in the Continental Army and Bryan rose to the rank of brigadier general in the Militia.  From 1805-1815, Bryan was a trustee of the University of North Carolina.

Return to top


< Previous page